Sunday, October 31, 2010

Doc's Advice #3: What Did You Call Me?

Ciao, Reachers. Today, I want to talk to you about an important and familiar topic. Let's be real here, we have all said it. You get to some point where you are so fed up with someone, so irritated with them, so enraged by their actions that you call them a certain word. Obviously, the word I am referring to is "noob".

We've all done it. Whether it's because the person you are dealing with is annoying, a beginner, or just an all around sucky player (cough cough Foup...), at some point during a Halo game, you have probably called someone a noob. This got me thinking - How did this word come about?

Well, where does one look for information about a topic? Answer - Wikipedia (because Wikipedia is always right). A noob is defined as "a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity". It also has "derogatory connotations," meaning that the word "noob" has evolved into an insult. Often spelled many different ways, like noob, newb, nub, newbie, newbee, or n00b, the origins are disputed.

One thing is for sure, the word has infiltrated popular culture today, especially in the gaming industry. For example, yesterday I was playing some Big Team Slayer with an idea. I counted how many times someone said "noob" and I would not influence them to say it in any way. After an hour, I had counted 11 separate times when the word was used. Obviously, its a common term in Halo.

But why? It could be popular for many reasons. One, it's pretty fun to say. It just rolls of the tongue. That -oob sound is kind of cool sounding. Another, it has got kind of a gamer connotation to it. I have noticed that true gamers like their own lingo. Whether it's "leet," "pwn," or "noob," most gamers like using these words to make them feel unique and special in a class apart from other people. Maybe, it's just not as offensive as some words you could use and thus preferred by some players. Instead of going on a profanity-laced rant about how bad your teammate, opponent, or friend is, you can just sum all of your anger up in one word - "noob."

Nevertheless, I end it like this. Don't fret if you are called a noob. Everybody has at some point. Noob is just a cool word. I like it. My friends like it. You should to. So I say to you Reachers, be a noob.

No comments:

Post a Comment