Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Foup


Foup #4: An Indecent Proposal(not like the movie)

Call of Duty Black Ops came out a week ago. According to Team Xbox.com, it sold 5.6 million copies, or $360 million dollars worth of games. I know this is a Halo blog, but a game this big I should bring up in at least one in-depth blog about the game, which I prefer, and whether you should buy it(if you haven't already).

So yes, I bought the game, and guess what, I have both of the Modern Warfares as well. Sometimes you need a little COD on the side, but Halo will always be the true lady of my life(sad as that might be). I've been kind of a COD fan as long as Infinity Ward was making the game, and although I was never good at the game's, they were fun as hell. So this time I took the plunge and bought a Treyarch Call of Duty; lets see if it was worth the $60 and change it cost me.

First thing to know about this game is that it is a Call of Duty game post the first Modern Warfare. This means that it is very similar to the style of the other's. It's main point will be a very fun multiplayer with extremely customizable weapon's, class, and perk structures, and killstreaks, with a somewhat realistic type game-play. The side-show will be the solo campaign with constant overblown action, and some sort of co-op mission gameplay. This system tends to work fairly well to produce a game that will have kid's beg, plead, commit crimes, sell drugs, solicit sex, guess star on According to Jim, be in a Stephen Sommers or Michael Bay movie, or do whatever dirty work they have to do buy the game(by the way, that list goes in increasing intensity)

I'll start with the campaign. I personally think it is one of the most interesting fictionalized stories in a Call of Duty game. It is really interesting, and to say the least, there is a device that keeps you hooked the entire game. The literal gameplay is traditional COD, as in you follow a route where you kill a bunch of baddies with guns from the time period. One thing I have to ssay about the action in the game is that its very Pierce Brosnan James Bond(or Michael Bay, but I really don't want to use his name twice in the blog). For those of you who don't get the references, there is constant action, which at a certain point, becomes overwhelming. Finally, the best thing about the campaign, and possibly the entire game, is the voice acting straight outta Compton. That's right, Ice Cube voices the token black guy in the campaign, as well as narrating some of the games. I think it is awesome to hear Ice Cube's voice telling me to fight harder, because if I don't, he'll probably fuck me up like he did to those police.(N.W.A. reference for those who don't get it).

Multiplayer. The single most important part of a Call of Duty game. Guess what? Its the same as every other Call of Duty game. Unfortunately, the minor additions to the game are cool, but not revolutionary enough to call the multipayer anything unexpected or out of the ordinary. The main new addition is the money system, which I have pretty much found pointless. It's a system in which you earn money with which you unlock all your new guns, emblems, face paint, etc. The problem is, you still have to level up to buy things(I would rather have them cost differently, since every gun costs $2000) and money is easy as hell to get. If you do well, you can buy a gun after one or two matches. The other addition to multiplayer which I do find fun are wager matches. Wager matches allow you to bet the money you earn on fun-type games like one in the chamber (where all you have is a pistol, knife, and a bullet to play a match with) or gun game(where you get different guns based on your position in the game). These matches are extremely fun, but overall the multiplayer is just more of the same.

Co-op mode=NAZI ZOMBIES
Yes, its back. Arguably the only reason to buy COD: World at War has arrived on black ops, and its awesome. There are three new maps, and two of them are extremely worthwhile, while the other is a fun novelty. The first map is most like Der Rise as much as it has the teleporter and pack a punch that were so vital in reaching level 30 in the first zombies. This map is completely different though. It has an abandoned mansion feel and an overall creepier vibe. Its also 10x harder. First couple times I played, I barely made it past level 5, and Doc could hardly make it past level 3( to give him credit, he was eating a Mcgangbang at the time). The other map allows you to defend the pentagon as Richard Nixon, JFK, Fidel Castro, and some other guy no one cares about(I believe he's Russian ). It has some twists that I won't spoil, but trust me they are awesome. The third is an arcade zombies which is fun for a while but to be honest I couldn't see myself playing that over and over.

Overall, this is another Cod game with a couple of new features. Obviously, Reach is an all-around better game, but I'd pick this one up. It is very entertaining, and nothing is better than hearing Ice Cube tell you your in the lead online.

Additional Thought:
The look of this game is kind of off. For the really dark storyline, this is probably the most bright and colorful Call of Duty I've seen in a while. Kind of throws me off.

1 comment: