Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Doc's Advice #4: Day at the Races


Salvete, Reachers. Today's topic is my personal favorite game type. Yes, I do like battling it out in Team Arena Doubles, capturing the flag in Team Objective, and going solo in Rumble Pit. However, my favorite thing to do is go out with me and a friend into the Multi Team lobby and play me some Rocket Race.

The basic concept of Rocket Race - race in Mongooses with a partner to different areas. Be the first to get to the designated area and score a point for your team. First to 15 wins. Ah, but here's the catch. While one person drives, another is riding. With a Rocket Launcher. With unlimited ammo. And you can't die unless you are off of the Mongoose. Oh boy, it's on!

The chaos that ensues in these games is fantastic. New to Rocket Race in Halo: Reach is a "Rotations Completed" that pops up every time the Mongoose you are riding in does a sideways flip and then says the number of times you "do a barrel roll" (little Star Fox allusion there). I do enjoy it when another team shoots me and I go flying in the air. Who wouldn't love that kind of surreal feeling you get when a vehicle you are driving is catapulted in the air and twists violently. Personal record is 24... would like to hear if anyone has done better.

Even the races to the objective are crazy. You can be driving along. You can see the objective ring straight ahead. You can't be stopped... or can you? Just then - EXPLOSION! There you going spinning away, while another driver claims victory. Rocket Race, while more relaxed than a normal game of Slayer in Reach, has strategy. Whether trying to guess where the ring will pop up next, deciding whether to go for a ring or just wait back, or attempting that perfectly timed, well-placed rocket on an unsuspecting target, games can get intense. My favorite memory was when my team was about to win and was going straight for the ring, but was then hit hard by a rocket. Quick thinking, I jump out of the Mongoose, run into the ring just in time for the win, then immediately splattered, barely eeking out a victory.

So I say to you gamers - take a break from just killing and slaying. Kick back, relax, get a friend, and create mayhem in the explosive frenzy known as Rocket Race.

No comments:

Post a Comment